Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The Great Book Break-Up

Up until very recently, I would never think of "breaking up" with a book. However, the more I read, the more I have learned to value my time as a reader. I always tell the kids to give it at least 2-3 chapters before giving up on a book. Some books really do take a little longer to get going. Over the past few weeks I have "broken up" with several books. Reasons for my great book break ups recently were couldn't get into the story, characters were not very interesting, poorly written, knew I wasn't going to buy it for the JRT Library within a few chapters, etc.   Despite the many books I didn't finish this week, I did FINISH and ENJOY:

Marty McGurie by Kate Messner
This would be a great read aloud to a third grade class. It has a GREAT fairy tale / fractured fairy tale tie in!

Clementine by Sara Pennypacker
Another great read aloud for 2nd and 3rd graders. I loved this because it is funny like Junie B. Jones but a little more mature. 

Al Capone Does my Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko
LOVED this. It was not at all what I expected. Great historical fiction for boys and girls! Really loved reading about life for the children living on Alcatraz.

Star in the Storm byJoan Hiatt Harlow
Another 5 star book! I loved her other book called Thunder from the Sea. I really loved this one because it was kind of a nail biter! I couldn't put it down because I HAD TO KNOW what was going to happen next!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment